Saturday, March 22, 2008

The thing about cooking

No pretty pictures to complement this blog. My next posting..I'll try, will attach new pics to go with it :)
Was talking to an old friend yesterday, someone who's based overseas in the US and hence, we get to meet up once in a very long while, either in Singapore or in the US. The thing about old friends, I guess is that, despite the long periods of non contact, we never seem to have the problem picking up the conversation from where we last left off ;)

Anyway, my friend made a rather interesting point about cooking. Good authentic Singaporean food is hard to come by in the US. Hence, according to him, any homecooked food done in the US will taste extremely good. However, when he's back in Singapore and he reprises the same cooking, it simply does not taste as good. His reasoning being, once back in Singapore, comparables are abundant. When such food is no longer scarce, his cooking no longer tastes as good!

I wonder what it would be like to cook Chinese/Singaporean food overseas. Granted, one may be able to find Asian food/ingredients in Asian supermarkets or markets in general, but somehow, I don't think we'll be able to find all the ingredients to reproduce the same dish in entirety. This is purely based on my observations from browsing Asian supermarkets and markets in general overseas. When it comes to cooking Chinese/ Singapore food overseas, I guess we have to adapt the recipe based on the available ingredients that one can get overseas..

Agree? Disagree? If you have stayed overseas and cooked overseas, would you care to share your recipes? ;)

1 comment:

stardust979 said...

i agree with your fren. When I recreated the same dish back here, it was...strangely not as tasty...even the Japanese food..BUT...I just cooked for my man a few days' ago and he likes it overseas or not :) So...subjective it is :)