Sunday, June 24, 2007

We are expecting!

Now that my blog has come out of its closet (forgive the pun ;p), I feel more motivated to write :) I've got plenty of ideas on what to blog about.

Firstly, let me thank stardust, kopitiam-uncle, DK, momomui,Ms Low for reading my blog ;) If there are any of you out there who have read my blog, let me know please..leave comments..or tell me over msn/sms...indulge me ;p And Yes. kopitiam-uncle, I just changed my blog template again....

Hmmz...on to the topic for the day. "We are expecting". Been wanting to share my views on it for a while. No mistakes. Yepz. I do mean "expecting" in the context of having a child ;) Not that it applies to me ;p

I recall reading an article in ST-Life a few weeks back. They did two interviews with two bad boys turned into good daddies ;p Oh yeah. Everyone loves the idea of reformed rakes. Guys who have done it all. Probability of them straying in the future to try out newer experiences is low. Anway, what struck me was the phrase that one of them used when asked about why he got married. His simple answer was "we got pregnant". It struck me then how times have changed. Instead of the concept of only the mother getting pregnant i.e. responsiblity of the unborn kid rests with the mum alone, fathers these days do seem to take an equal role and pride in the pregnancy process. Attending pre-natal and post-natal classes etc..Kudos to all these fathers. :) (Princess M's mummy, I suspect that I've probably been reading too much of your blog ;p)

Was at a colleague's place the other day. One colleague's wife is pregnant. When he used the phrase "my wife is expecting", many of those present pointed out to him that he should be saying "We are expecting, my wife is pregnant" ;p To which, my colleague readily conceded. Looks like this trend of verbalising equal ownership of the pregnancy is getting widely accepted and hopefully not a passing fad. I see this as a good thing :) A good example of the evolution of societal roles in the family unit.

Back to more mundane stuff. Need to confess that I mistook Phomn Penh to be a country today :( Arrghz. This coming from a person whom others turn to for tips when playing drinking games on country names and capitals. Haiz. Need to brush up on my geography of Indochina.

No comments: