Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Flowers and their meanings

It's one of those "off" days...packed lunched back to office to eat while surfing the usual blogs that I read...am rather cheered by 2 friends' blog...

1) to know that one friend is making good progress in her running :); and

2) to read about the cute antics that my friend has been up to with her new baby. New mums are usually very trigger happy. Readers like myself never fail to be cheered by the pictures of the cherub's rosy pink smiling/ sleeping face or wrinkled crying face. It's such a joy to see pictures of babies who are always naturals in front of cameras, absolutely photogenic. No pretenses and poses.



Was watching a DVD on Friday night. About a killer, a detective and their common love interest, a painter. Movie was shot in Amsterdam and played around the central theme of "daisies" - which in the movie stands for "hidden love". Whenever there was a job for the killer, he would notified via a pot of black tulips that was left on his doorstep. A pretty moving love story..but really rather sad..

*pause* went to rescue 2 colleagues who were caught in the rain. Now back to continuing before I start work again.

Following the movie, thought I'll do a google on flowers and their meanings and share it with you folks.

Baby's Breath: Innocence Begonia: A fanciful nature
Carnation-red: Alas poor heart Carnation-pink: I'll never forget you

Chrysanthemum-yellow: Slighted love Daffodil: Regard, You are the only one
Daisy: Gentleness, Innocence, Loyalty and Romance
Forget Me Not: Faithful Love, Undying Hope, Memory, Do Not Forget
Lavender: Loyalty Lily-white: Sweetness
Lily of the Valley: Humility, Sweetness, Return of Happiness
Rose, Red: Love and Desire

Rose-single red: I Love You
Sunflowers: Pride

Tulip: Love and Passion Tulip-red: Declaration of love

On hindsight, I recall getting a sunflower bouquet from a friend when I had a really bad fall and was limping around in office. The sunflower definitely cheered me up. I guess we do need to have some pride to pick ourselves up after a bad fall.

Looking at the meaning of Lilies, I guess I can better appreciate the use of lilies in wedding bouquets. Some of my really sweet friends do love their lilies.

A purely platonic friend once bought me two of my favourite flowers for my birthday. On reading this, I guess we will both chuckle and be glad that he bought the pink version and not the red version.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

So which are your fave flowers?

Cheers!

stardust979 said...

i'm definitely not the friend who made progress in her running LOL..

wow, flowers. the film you saw was a korean film called daisies is it?