Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Slowest ever


Once again, it's rainy weather and I am back early in office from my lunch break. Thought I'll just update my blog..had some fun reading the different kinds of comments I've been having on my blog ;p

Just completed the AHM (Army Half Marathon) or now known as the Singapore Bay Run on sunday. (I was already thinking about blogging this halfway thru the run hehz)


*have added a picture of my finisher medals for the 3 AHMs that I've completed*

New route this year...same starting point, longer route in ECP and ending at the floating platform at Marina Bay. Unfortunately, it was my slowest ever half marathon. Am a full 10 mins slower than my timing for last year, which is absolutely demoralising. In my 3 years of running, this was the longest that I've ever taken for a half marathon. Am trying to attribute it to the congested running lanes in ECP (longer route there, means I get stuck at a slower pace for a longer stretch ;p), starting 5 mins from the start line and perhaps a wrong strategy of going too slow in the first 10km. Wanted to try a new approach this year i.e. to run at a slower pace for the first 10km..conserve energy..such that I will not slow down exponentially by too much towards the last 5 km....

Had a really leisurely and happy first 10km..was merrily past the 1 hr mark after 10 km...but the pace started to slow and get congested in the middle of ECP..that's when I really start to tire and feel frustrated...keeping pace with the people around me feels kinda slow..but to constantly overtake others saps up a lot of my energy..so I was really really tired by the time we turned out of ECP eventually. Muscles were horrible fatigued and close to cramping by the 15km mark....kept reminding myself that I shouldn't slow down to walk...tried to speed up to prevent the cramps from developing. Didn't want to stop. Sprinted at traffic junctions so that I will not have to stop at the red lights.....

Made beelines for the drinks station that serves isotonic drinks (cos salt is suppose to help prevent cramping)

Oh, I should really emphasise that getting drinks at runs like that requires some form of strategy and technique. Let me explain. The drinks stations tend to consist of several tables laid out with drinks. Most runners will tend to aim for the first table for the drinks. Hence, a lot of people will congregate at the first table. If you are running for timing, don't want to queue for the drinks or crash into people who grab their drinks and dash off from the drinks stations, always head for the middle or last few tables of the drinks station ;p Less of a hassle. Don't have to fight with people for drinks. At places like that, it's always every man and woman for him/herself. All the stuff about "ladies-first" are never observed. I've had to jostle with many guys for my drinks, or endure getting elbowed at drinks station at runs like that;p Last but not least, it's always rather hazardous at drinks station. One always run the risk of getting hit by cups thrown by other runners, tripped by cups/ bottles (if they serve the drinks in bottles) on the lanes closest to the drinks station. So gotta be real careful around there;p

Back to my run. Had to endure the last 6km..before getting fooled by the finishing line banner outside the stadium, only to realise that it's not the end, and we still had to turn into the stadium itself to reach the finishing line. Found the energy to sprint into the stadium eventually..just for some face-saving grace arghz. Was wearing a red running cap which really helped. My friends spotted me running in from the grandstand and were waving madly to me. So it was easy to meet up with them to just complain about my performance after the run hehz ;p

Next run coming up. Shape Run - For women's only. Gotta put in a better performance. Am looking forward to the goody bag ;p At least, I won't be getting magazines like Men's Health again ;p I hope they give me some spa vouchers :)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yo! Long time no 'blog'... *grin*

Shape Run! Shape Run! Shape Run!

No need to jostle with the guys, and be further disheartened with the lack of gentlemanly behaviour. Only lack of lady-like behaviour there?

It's only couple days away. I hope to be able to fit some running practice before the run. Just got myself a new pair of NB shoes. Need to break it in before the run.

Meanwhile, take care and hope I bump into you at the Shape Run!

stardust979 said...

i didn't train for this shape run. doomed from day one :p