Sunday, October 21, 2007

The anatomy of the photocopier

Friday. I came to the sudden realisation that quite a number of us office workers must be good mechanics at trouble shooting the photocopier after a fair number of months/ years at work.

I'm sure all of us must have been stuck at least at one point of our working life stuck at the photocopier. The horrors grow especially when we are doing duplex copying (double-sided), sorting or simply using the feeder function of the photocopier. Spent close to an hour and a half dismantling and trouble-shooting the photocopier just to make duplicates of some documents that I was handling. Took a real amount of patience and discipline to not kick the machine, left it jammed or give up on photocopying totally ;p

Am totally familar with the 10 different doors (not to mention the other levers, rollers and other parts in the machine) by the end of Friday. Even had to poke my ruler into the machine to retrieve the different bits of paper that was jammed between the rollers. Arrghz. Was sorely tempted to do a short write-up on the anatomy of the photocopier. which I'm sure would bore all of you ;) But I'm glad that I managed to make duplicates of all the documents that I wanted. You can just imagine how triumphant I felt at the end of it all. Kestrel won the battle against the photocopier after 2 hours. woohoo ;)

Anyway, that was one of the highlights of Friday. End of a work week. Had nice nachos at a rather interesting cafe with live guitar music ;p


2 comments:

stardust979 said...

I've been in 6 years of the govt service and not once have I mastered kyocera, canon or the darn hp. those guys KNOW us, SMELL us from afar and jam us whenever they can. It's a conspiracy.

Palex said...

congratulations, kestrel, on your 2 hour battle. Just don't fall into the trap of being recognised as the resident "copier-unjammer".

No matter how many times you do it, it'll still take just as long, leave your fingers just as dirty, and you just as frustrated, on your 100th copier as it were on your first...