Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Jack of all trades

I told myself that I ought to be less trigger-happy when it comes to blogging. Even promised myself that I would not be blogging today.

But oh well, something just inspired me on my way back home ;) So here I am again. Friends who know me well should know what kind of frame of mind I must have been in at work today. Hehz. kestrel shouldn't reveal more ;p

Realised out of the blue that being Singaporean means that many of us are multi-lingual to some extent ;p Take for example, I'm sure many of us can say "thank you" in more than one language. Did a short tally of the number of languages that I can thank people in. I counted 8 - English, Mandarin, Malay, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese.

Have taken formal language lessons in English, Mandarin, Malay and French. But I'm really quite lousy at Malay and French. Made me realise that I'm really a jack of all trades but master of none. Hehz.

To make the picture more complete, I think I ought to learn how to say thank you in Tamil. Yogz, if you know how to say thank you in Ceylonese, teach me! ;p Other languages on my radar includes german, flemish and some other eastern european languages. Hehz.

Realised in office today that my usual font size is rather trying on the eyes. So, have decided to change the font size that I blog in as well ;p Is this better? Let me know :) Adios.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

In India, you can say 'nameshka' (sounds like that) as a form of greeting. In Poland, it's 'gendobrei' (also sounds like that). German it's 'guten tag' for greeting, 'danke' for thanks. In Russian, it's 'dosvidania' for 'good day'. Good day in Italian is 'Buona Sera' (i think). Just saying 'ciao' is good enough actually.

That's about all I can think of right now. May be wrong with some of the words.